GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reckon there are plenty on the forum with euro miles under their belt.
Now at the end of my 1st year of ownership with the F and one thing after another I didn鈥檛 get a chance for the trip that I hoped for.
Optimistic to snatch a few days tour in the UK this year to try her out and if it all doesn鈥檛 go pear shaped again (or more accurately corrona shaped!) get another year riding UK side to head across the channel next year (Newcastle ferry route)
Any suggestions for an ideal 4 or 5 day northern European moto touring route? (I know a pretty broad question with endless possibilities but any insight)
I鈥檝e driven on the continent several times but usually blasting down to the alps in the car, not much off the beaten track driving.
P.S fan of German beer...and Belgian...come to think of it quite like French and Italian Wine..and beer....OK..pretty much any Northern European Country is an option for preferred apres biking!
Ideally a circular route so no need for backtracking. Pointers to any blogs or mapped routes and itineries, even organised tours appreciated.
Here she is washed and ready to go!

Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
Can't recommend a particular route. There are communities on the internet where you can find suggestions.
The best place for me was the Dolomite's, very bike friendly, major source of income for them when the ski season is over. As with all areas avoid school and national holidays if you can
I last went in 2019 to do a tour of all the major alpine passes. I vowed never to go again due to the virtually universal 50mph speed limit on all but motorways and dual carriage ways, I was bored out of my mind. Getting a speeding ticket in France didn't help and God help you if you get one in Switzerland. A guy got a 100 euro fine for slowly rolling through at a stop sign.

Reactions: MTGSXSF

Registered
Can't recommend a particular route. There are communities on the internet where you can find suggestions.
The best place for me was the Dolomite's, very bike friendly, major source of income for them when the ski season is over. As with all areas avoid school and national holidays if you can
I last went in 2019 to do a tour of all the major alpine passes. I vowed never to go again due to the virtually universal 50mph speed limit on all but motorways and dual carriage ways, I was bored out of my mind. Getting a speeding ticket in France didn't help and God help you if you get one in Switzerland. A guy got a 100 euro fine for slowly rolling through at a stop sign.
Thats peanuts Dekker. This guy got fined 4000 Swiss franks (3149 pounds, $4500 Canadian dollars) for speeding. Mind you his speed was 144 km.h in a 80 zone but even so. Here in Canada (Ontario) 50 km.h over the limit is bike confiscated for a week, one week suspension, $10,000 fine. Sure has taken all the fun out of riding fast here lol.

I remember many moons ago going 50 km.h over the speed limit in Germany on my Triumph and was fined on the spot 8 marks, peanuts at the time. I was so relieved I laughed and the cop said in perfect English, 鈥測ou are going to pay the fine?鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeez...I鈥檇 better start saving...or maybe rethink what bike to take to be on the safe side of the speed limits 馃
Reckon I鈥檇 be safe with a Cub...especially full loaded ! 馃ぃ

Registered
Thats peanuts Dekker. This guy got fined 4000 Swiss franks (3149 pounds, $4500 Canadian dollars) for speeding. Mind you his speed was 144 km.h in a 80 zone but even so. Here in Canada (Ontario) 50 km.h over the limit is bike confiscated for a week, one week suspension, $10,000 fine. Sure has taken all the fun out of riding fast here lol.

I remember many moons ago going 50 km.h over the speed limit in Germany on my Triumph and was fined on the spot 8 marks, peanuts at the time. I was so relieved I laughed and the cop said in perfect English, 鈥測ou are going to pay the fine?鈥
Yes I know about Chris of 44T fame. If you want to use the Motorways in Switzerland you have to buy a permit for 12 months costs 拢31.49, In Austria you can get one for 10 days for around a tenner.

Registered
Jeez...I鈥檇 better start saving...or maybe rethink what bike to take to be on the safe side of the speed limits 馃
Reckon I鈥檇 be safe with a Cub...especially full loaded ! 馃ぃ
View attachment 45490
A wise choice. I鈥檓 glad you鈥檝e come to your senses. Let鈥檚 be fair it鈥檚 really all you need these days.馃ジ

Registered

Registered
I reckon there are plenty on the forum with euro miles under their belt.
Now at the end of my 1st year of ownership with the F and one thing after another I didn鈥檛 get a chance for the trip that I hoped for.
Optimistic to snatch a few days tour in the UK this year to try her out and if it all doesn鈥檛 go pear shaped again (or more accurately corrona shaped!) get another year riding UK side to head across the channel next year (Newcastle ferry route)
Any suggestions for an ideal 4 or 5 day northern European moto touring route? (I know a pretty broad question with endless possibilities but any insight)
I鈥檝e driven on the continent several times but usually blasting down to the alps in the car, not much off the beaten track driving.
P.S fan of German beer...and Belgian...come to think of it quite like French and Italian Wine..and beer....OK..pretty much any Northern European Country is an option for preferred apres biking!
Ideally a circular route so no need for backtracking. Pointers to any blogs or mapped routes and itineries, even organised tours appreciated.
Here she is washed and ready to go!

View attachment 45476
Couple years back i headed down to the black forest in Germany, Baden-baden to be exactly great roads, have a think about scotland, NC500 is lovely not fast roads due to the twisty, width.
heading up north next month to tour the national parks, east coast, west coast and down into wales...

The Gsxs loves the miles...

Registered
Couple years back i headed down to the black forest in Germany, Baden-baden to be exactly great roads, have a think about scotland, NC500 is lovely not fast roads due to the twisty, width.
heading up north next month to tour the national parks, east coast, west coast and down into wales...

although think the matt looks better ;-)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Bavaria is on the list, but this year the NC500 is the local choice (live by Inverness) managed 2500 miles during last year with all the lockdowns so hoping for more this year 馃憣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts