GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, An online bike site seems quite enamored with the new Kaw Z900 and among other things complimented its looks. But to me its looks like a "me-to" to our bike, what with the tail section, front end/tank, pipe layout etc. About all I'd take would be the pedal rotors, but I suppose those are available after-market.

Anyway, I was somewhat surprised no mention was made about its resemblance. In all the years I've followed Japanese motorcycles, it seems like the Big 4 all get in a room and decide who and when each will get whatever is the latest trend; ie, like 100-years ago when tanks had chrome sides, then were painted with knee pads, then pads disappeared..."mags" starting coming OEM, comfortable seats disappeared...race-replicas appear, zx10-11-12-14, hyabusas, and now... kicked up tails, sloping headlight, trellis/tube frames appearing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There's a Z900 now? They just introduced the Z800 and Z650 recently, I can't even keep track of all the kawasakis now. Also what's the point of having a Z650, Z800, Z900, and Z1000, at least one of those is redundant.

It does look like the GSXS but I think it looks even better. Kawasaki has always had the best looking bikes out of the Japanese brands in my opinion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The GSXS looks a lot nicer to my eye. It also has traction control and Bembo's. Neither of which the z900 has. But at $8400 it looks like a lot of bike for the money.

·
Registered
333 Posts
no electronics at all
125 hp
front brake caliper from 2005 bikes
cheap suspension
rear brake disc from some gpz 600 out of the 80`
and general low quality typical from kawasaki

nice piece of **** kawi...

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think, right now, no one knows what to make that will sell in greet numbers. With that in mind, if Suzuki makes one, then the rest better, too.

Neither are really that far off from an FZ09, when class groupings figure in. The Kawasakis price is low. 8399.00 non abs, 8799.00 abs.

I think this bike replaces the z 800, so may make more sense with that in mind. Like Ghostrider said, not really a match for the gsxs 1000. Probably closer to the gsxs750.

Still, its an oddly placed bike because the z 1000 is still available.

For me, if I wanted a 900, it would be fz09...If I wanted a 1000, suzuki all the way.

I have a garage full of Kawasakis and Yamahas. If the Kawasaki had the good front end and brakes, maybe. I like its looks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My local Kawi dealer just got them in and i gotta say i wasn't impressed, it looked cheaply built and the seat was hard as a rock. The fit and finish just wasn't there, the GSX-S1000 to me had better build quality

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Z900 is replacing the Z800, they placed it to compete more with the crop of naked middleweights like the FZ-09, XSR-900, MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR etc. along with the new Triumph Street Triple RS, which in IMHO will dominate the naked middleweight segment again just like the old model did. Also Kawasaki will longer offer the Z1000 in the United States

·
Registered
216 Posts
I guess the Z900 will be a good bike for the price it's at, it does put out the same hp and trq as a stock Honda CB1000R but would weigh 20-30 lbs less than the Honda. My local Suzi dealers are selling the GSXS1K at $7999-$8400 MSRP so it makes no sense to me to get a Z900 when you could get the GSXS1K at the same price. Plus the Suzi would have better equipment and a stronger engine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've even seen the 2016 Triumph Speed Triple S models being offered at $10,500 MSRP the same price as the GSXS1K when it first came out. At that price I i'm even considering the new Speed Triple as my next bike. Still planning on getting a new bike on my birthday at the end of June so i got a few months still.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My local Suzi dealers are selling the GSXS1K at $7999-$8400 MSRP so it makes no sense to get a Z900 when you could get the GSXS1K at the same price.
I'm guessing those are not msrp, but dealer discounts on leftover 2016 models? If so you can't compare it with msrp on a brand new 2017.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Those are on leftover 2016 models but still at that price i would rather get a leftover GSXS1K from 2016 at the same price as a new Z900.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The new Z900 looks awesome. If it had TC, it would have given the GSX-S a run for its money. These streetfighter bikes are getting more and more popular, it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 5 years.

Right now, I am very happy with my GSX-S1000.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I highly doubt that, the suzi is a far superior bike to the Z900, Kawi will have to bring it's A game when they do their middleweight shootout. IMHO the new Street Triple RS might be the best middleweight out there.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Rhyno, that brings up a question.

Riding position...The position the suzuki, or other naked bikes put us in. Its not awesoem over 100 mph as it feels like you are being dragged off the bike. Not that I would know, I never , ever speed...but, pretend I did...

With that in mind, maybe we are better off on the 765?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh i never speed either (nope not ever) ;). Yes i'm sure the new STRS will be a fantastic bike, it's lighter then the previous STR, power is up to 125 hp i believe and 57 ft. lbs, they use the same tuning as they did on the Daytona 675R since it's the same engine just bore and stroked to the 765 cc. But the slated MSRP for the new STRS is $12,500.00. That is a lot of money for a middleweight compared to others in it's class, but you get a lot for that price.

At just over twelve thousand i've seen other litre class naked go for less like the Aprilia Tuono 1100 RR, Triumph Speed Triple S and the R model, Yamaha FZ-10, GSXS1K and the CB1000R. Which brings me to this, have these litre class naked bikes gone insane with their horsepower war. That Tunoo makes 175 hp and 90 ft. lbs for a bike that weighs 478 lbs that's more than the original Hayabusa, along with the KTM 1290 Super Duke R, BMW S1000R and the Ducati Monster 1200R make insane horspower.

Even the Suzuki and the Yamaha make upwards to 160 hp which to me is more than enough, i guess for me i like bikes that i can make more use of the engine. The Triumph makes 140 hp and the Suzi 160 hp, these two would be where i would feel more comfortable on. The STRS would probably be the perfect all-arounder, even the ST3R would fit in that category.

I decided not to go with the Z1k, the Suzuki is more than likely the bike i will get when I get ready to purchase at the end of June.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would entertain the idea of getting a STRS even at that price, you wouldn't have to put a lot of money into it performance and suspension wise. Aside from cosmetic goodies you wouldn't have to spend a lot. But compared to the Z900, the build quality, fit and finish was way better on the XSR-900.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Weird. Why are we comparing the smaller version of the Z1000 to the GSXS while the the higher HP Z1000 already has significantly less power then the GSXS1000???

GSXS-1000's closer comparable is still the Z1000/ninja1000. The z900's closest comparable is the GSXS-750, FZ9, etc. Totally different ball game.

The Z900 looks like a good bike for what it is, and better than the Z800 it replaces, which was already good. Great price!

But there is a significant difference between those 2 categories: Frame technology, suspension, breaks, 30%+ power, TC, etc. Can't be compared IMO.

Depends what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. If the Z900 does it all for you, then for sure save the money.. and why are you on a Suzuki forum anyway? (kidding! :) )

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think the 900 is a tough one to put in a class. its 948 cc's. Not really comparable to the 750. Lacks the features and benefits of the gsxs 1000, so does not really fit there, either.

The z 1000 does not make much sense compared to the suzuki. One would really have to love its styling.

I thought the z 1000 was ugly, but its beautiful as compared to the mt 10.

I know I would end up with a better bike if I bought the suzuki, then spent the extra money on suspension for it.

Rather than the 765, I would get the mv agusta 800. Sure, Id probably have to push it everywhere when it broke down, but that is one beautiful bike.

Its interesting to see how that @800cc class has developed. Yamaha must have sold a ton of fz09's?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts