GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
My plan

I'm dumping my oil between 500-600 miles for Spectro conventional10w40, then semi-synthetic of the like at 1000, then full synthetic after a few kmiles. New filter each time. Thoughts?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Does anyone use Rotella T6?

It's really popular for motorcycles (even though it's not marketed as a motorcycle oil), just wondering if anyone tried it in this bike?

It's 5w40, is that ok?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have used Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic for years even before they have stamped the JASO-MA label on it. If you read the back label on the new Rotella T6 it is a JASO MA certified. I was using 15W-40W then switch over to 5W-40W full synthetic. Reading all comments about oil on this site, and other bike forum i'm a member of. Everyone has great idea about what to avoid and oil to use, my take is as long as you change oil and filter regularly that works with wet clutches your doing well. I believe its just a personal experience of what you've been using that has worked well for your bike. Clean oil better dirty oil it will cost you much more for engine repairs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
per the manual, these are the requirements:
10W-40
SG, SH, SJ or SL
JASO MA

I would not run a 5w40, that is too thin.

·
Registered
647 Posts
In an earlier post I said I used Motil 5100, however a couple of weeks ago I was at my dealers having a chin wag and we got onto oils, long story short he recommended Fuchs Silkolene Comp4 10W-30 synthetic oil which is expensive but he assured me I would feel the difference. The cynical side of me thought yeah yeah but I relented and gave it a go.
Annoyingly I can feel a difference especially in the shifting, it's so much more smoother. And after a good 500 miles it still looks clear and golden in the sight glass.
I shall be using this in future.

·
Registered
340 Posts
per the manual, these are the requirements:
10W-40
SG, SH, SJ or SL
JASO MA

I would not run a 5w40, that is too thin.
I am admittedly not an engine/oil expert, but my understanding is that 5w40 would have better viscosity at very low temps than 10w40, but there is no difference at high temperatures.

The bike's manual doesn't specify 5w40 because nobody rides their motorcycle when the temps are -20 so they figured there is no reason to specify that range. But if you don't ride in sub-zero temps there is no difference.

The issue for me is that Rotella T6 is readily available at places like Walmart (and it frequently goes on sale) whereas Motul 7100 and other motorcycle synthetic oils are only foudn at motorcycle shops and they charge a ridiculous amount for it. So if I used Rotella T6 I would be doing oil changes a lot more frequently due to how convenient it would be to obtain the oil.

Another thing I want to know is, is it to early to switch to a full synthetic, should you wait until your bike has a certain mileage? I notice they put in mineral oil at my 1000 kms service.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
What the heck is a chin wag?
that is a chat as we say
:laugh:
Stop teasing the man. He's asked a sensible question.

Stormer, it's like a pair of Chaps but for your chin- pretty handy to stop the flies sticking to your teeth with an open face helmet- a leather scarf which goes around your gob:)

·
Registered
860 Posts

Stormer, it's like a pair of chaps but for your chin- pretty handy to stop the flies sticking to your teeth with an open face helmet- a leather scarf which goes around your gob:)
lmao!!! :d

·
Registered
307 Posts

Stormer, it's like a pair of Chaps but for your chin- pretty handy to stop the flies sticking to your teeth with an open face helmet- a leather scarf which goes around your gob:)
you had to tell him what it was

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Soz!
Couldn't stop myself>:D

It always makes me chuckle. Two countries which speak the same language and we can't always understand each other.
My first experience of this was when I went to the states as a lad. We were going to be there a while so I had to go to school. I was in the six grade but I can still remember the look on the teachers face when I asked if I could borrow her rubber0:)...I suppose it didn't help that she was also about 6 months pregnant at the time also:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Went to my dealer to buy some oil/filter/crush gasket...They said they used Yamalube 10W40 in all their bikes. So I decided to go for some Yamalube 10w50 in semi-synthetic (I also will be doing my Yamaha Super Tenere so figured why not run the same stuff)

It felt a little odd getting Yamalube for a Suzuki but whatevs, it's all oil I suppose :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yep! What ever you are happy with. My dealer uses Silkolene. Regular changes are more important in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm still undecided about synthetic vs mineral oil. I read in a lot of GSXR threads that synthetic oil might affect the swelling of gaskets (as in causing them to not seal as well). Our manual makes no mention of using synthetic oil, although I don't know if other manuals ever recommend it.

My opinion is that synthetic 'probably' won't affect the seals - there's a lot of BS that gets passed around the internet - but I read it enough that it has me wondering.

I know synthetic oil will last longer and is better for the engine as the miles build up between oil changes. So I've been using mineral oil and changing it frequently. I'm not far from being convinced to switch to synthetic and go a little longer between changes (especially with the F - I'm lazy {and really don't want to cycle plastic clips all that much} and leave the fairings on and end up getting a bunch of oil on the exhaust).

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm still undecided about synthetic vs mineral oil. I read in a lot of GSXR threads that synthetic oil might affect the swelling of gaskets (as in causing them to not seal as well). Our manual makes no mention of using synthetic oil, although I don't know if other manuals ever recommend it.

My opinion is that synthetic 'probably' won't affect the seals - there's a lot of BS that gets passed around the internet - but I read it enough that it has me wondering.

I know synthetic oil will last longer and is better for the engine as the miles build up between oil changes. So I've been using mineral oil and changing it frequently. I'm not far from being convinced to switch to synthetic and go a little longer between changes (especially with the F - I'm lazy {and really don't want to cycle plastic clips all that much} and leave the fairings on and end up getting a bunch of oil on the exhaust).

If you can't make your mind up go for the semi synthetic
I've done hundreds of thousands of miles on semi , never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you can't make your mind up go for the semi synthetic
I've done hundreds of thousands of miles on semi , never had a problem
Yep, this is what I do. With semi, you get a few more miles out of the oil but not to the extent of full synthetic. With full synthetic, you are getting to the point where the oil will last much longer than the filter, so you have to get in there and change the filter halfway through the oil life. IMO that's most of the hassle anyway, so better to save some cash and go with semi and change it all at the same time.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts